The Federation of Australian Historical Societies (Inc.) (FAHS) annually calls for nominations for its Merit Awards. Up to five Merit Awards are awarded to individuals. These awards take the form of a Certificate of Merit.
Any individual is eligible for this award who is a financial member of one of the member societies of the Federation, namely the Canberra and District Historical Society, Historical Society of the Northern Territory, History Trust of South Australia, Royal Australian Historical Society, Royal Historical Society of Queensland, Royal Historical Society of Victoria, the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, and the Tasmanian Historical Research Association or one of their affiliated societies.
The Merit Awards are awarded as recognition of a meritorious contribution to the community history and heritage movement nationally and/or in more than one State or Territory and/or a contribution at State/Territory level which has had national implications.
This could be demonstrated through one or more of the following:
• contribution on national historical/heritage bodies, including the FAHS;
• contribution to advocacy for the protection and conservation of movable and built heritage;
• contribution to Australian historiography across two or more States and/or Territories;
• publication of works that are designed to promote engagement with history and/or heritage or heritage protection;
• contribution at the national level to advocacy for and/or the teaching of history/heritage at primary, secondary and/or tertiary levels or similar, including teacher training and ongoing professional development;
• contribution to the technology of the preservation or promotion of built or movable heritage that has been taken up by organisations outside the State/Territory where it originated;
• other forms of contribution having a bearing on achieving the aims of the FAHS, member society and/or the community history movement.
Currently serving members of the FAHS Council are not eligible for nomination.
Nominations close on 30 June 2020 and must be addressed to the Executive Officer, Federation of Australian Historical Societies Inc., GPO Box 1440, Canberra ACT, 2601, or Email: email@example.com