- About us
- What's new
- Guidance & training
- Support Group
- Advocacy support
The Federation of Australian Historical Societies is the peak body representing the interests of approximately 1,000 historical and heritage societies and about 100,000 members throughout Australia.
The FAHS member societies are the eight state and territory umbrella historical societies or their equivalent.
- encourages the study of Australian history and the preservation and publication of historical material and encourages public access to historical material;
- promotes communication and mutual assistance within the historical society movement;
- provides a forum for the exchange of ideas on historical matters throughout Australia; and
- assists the work of constituents;
- produces a Newsletter and an e-Bulletin on a regular basis; and
- maintains a website www.history.org.au.
In order to represent fully all historical and heritage societies and museums, applications for ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP of the FAHS are invited from societies having objects of a similar or identical effect as those of the FAHS, whether in whole or part, and which are not formally affiliated with one of our member societies.
Successful ASSOCIATE MEMBER applicants will be eligible for benefits similar to those received from the FAHS by societies that are affiliated with one of the FAHS member societies, including:
- representation by the FAHS in appropriate network, advocacy liaison activities upon request
- receipt of FAHS Newsletter and e-Bulletin
- information about history and heritage opportunities
- inclusion of news and information about a society’s events and achievements.
Associate member subscribers may be represented at the Annual General Meeting of the Federation, at their own cost, but will not be eligible to vote.
The fee for associate membership is $30 per annum.
Applications for associate membership may be made in writing to the Executive Officer, Federation of Australian Historical Societies, GPO Box 1440, Canberra, ACT, 2601 or via email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide the following information:
Name of organisation and its purpose;
Names of members of the Executive;
Copy of the Constitution and/or Rules;
Contact details including postal address and e-mail address.